For episode 56, where learning and growing from the CTO of FitMetrix, Josh Lloyd about using technology for the member to win. This is something that we explore quite a bit on the show, but this is a deeper discussion where we are learning from Josh about the strategy and tools that will connect the sometimes disparate technology silos inside and outside the club to help bring them back together.
In this podcast we're talking about not only how to use technology to enhance and uplevel the customer experience but also how to incentivize healthy living through data points collected via gamification and that relationship to smart push notifications sent to members.
FitMetrix was founded in 2013 to solve a need around group training but has now evolved to a more robust platform that does much more by bringing in best practices from outside the fitness industry: FitMetrix has significant technical experience and believes customer service is the most critical path to success.
With technology racing ahead faster than ever before what are the smart data sets that club owners and operators can piece together in a tracking solution designed to increase member retention while giving clients better results?
The answer to that question and much more takeaways for club owners, operators, and fitness pros in this episode with Josh Lloyd.
About Josh Lloyd
Josh Lloyd is the co-founder and CTO of FitMetrix, which provides state of the art technology to gyms and health clubs to give members the ability to schedule, train and receive real-time tracking of effort and performance through a facility’s website or customizable app.
FitMetrix has partnered with hundreds of gyms across the nation, including Life Time Fitness, Gold’s Gym, Cycle Bar, Cooper Institute, US Fitness and more. Prior to co-founding FitMetrix, Josh was the co-founder and visionary of ShopVisible LLC, which provided business owners with smart technology that combined solutions for customer service, back office, inventory, marketing, accounting and IT into one SEO friendly tool. Due to the success of ShopVisible, Josh was ranked as one of Atlanta Business Leaders’ Top 25 Entrepreneurs in Atlanta in 2012. Prior to ShopVisible, Josh was the Director of Research and Development for CareMedic Systems Inc., as well as Omega Systems Inc.
Josh has a bachelor’s degree in business from Florida Atlantic University and has 20 years of experience in professional software development.
Listen To Episode 056 As Josh Uncovers
- Why Josh left the automotive industry to retail and now fitness
- How key data from treadmills, ellipticals, rowers, and other cardio pieces can be used to tailor the member experience by tying them into a deeply functional tracking solution
- Why getting the information from the members exercise sessions while in the club is a powerful proactive fitness facilities
- How to use leaderboards to drive member journey in class settings
- How to use smart activity data that ties into the long tail of a member's journey
- How proactive fitness facilities and health clubs are creating an ecosystem that contains brand evangelists
- How a brand can bring value to a member even when they aren't in the 4 walls of the club
- The role of wearables and insurance companies in big health data and how facilities can explore a win-win
- Why Josh believes that this is the most exciting time to be in the fitness industry
- Understanding "Emotional Resistance" – why people do things to sabotage their success in reaching fitness goals
- Why FitMetrix partnered with Perkville to engage more members in 2018
- Actionable steps for club owners, operators, and fitness professionals around technology and members
Top 3 Takeaways From The Show
- The merging of the inside club data and outside club data is more important in 2018 than before. Josh believes that smart aggregate data from treadmills, ellipticals, rowers, and other cardio pieces can be used to tailor the member experience by tying them into a deeply functional tracking solution. By getting the information from the member's exercise sessions while in the club, proactive fitness facilities can now reach more of an emotional context for motivation by delivering detailed and actionable incentives to members.
- Josh speaks to the power of using leaderboards to drive more members to a successful health journey. At the end of the day when the technology is not there, you're self-regulating. When a member's stats are up on a leaderboard at the same time of the people next to them, they are going to push themselves harder, and everyone's going to push themselves harder, which creates a more dynamic class experience that they'll tell their friends about.
- When we view the power of wearables and creating a true ecosystem that is built for the member to win, clubs that partner with insurance companies and medical fitness organizations will now start to rise above their competitors as we look towards 2018 with more tools, technology, and the need for programs that reward people at their deepest needs.
Power Quotes From Josh Lloyd
"What we must ask as an industry is what can we be doing outside of just booking a class, outside of what is just happening in the studio, but also what are the other opportunities we can use to engage with the member?" - Josh Lloyd on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
"At the end of the day when the technology is not there, you're self-regulating. When you're up on a leaderboard at the same time of the people next you, you're going to push yourself harder, everyone's going to push themselves harder." - Josh Lloyd on the Fitness + Technology Podcast
Resources Mentioned From Josh
Thanks To Our Outstanding Sponsors
- Bryan O’Rourke and his family of companies including Vedere Ventures, Integerus Advisors, and many more. If you are looking for unmatched guidance, capital, insights or a great speaker or facilitator, Bryan and his partners are the go to resource for your organization. To learn more visit bryankorourke.com
- The Fitness Industry Technology Council, your non-profit resource for reliable technology information supported by forward looking brands who are seeking to drive increased technology adoption in the fitness industry. Make a difference and join FIT-C at fittechcouncil.org today
- Check out Bryan and his partner Robert Dyer's recent book "9 Partnership Principles: A Story of Life Lessons" which is available now on Amazon.com
Become A FIT-C Podcast Sponsor